As your real estate professional I’m advising you to declutter, stage your home, plant new flowers, and make repairs and updates. You may be reluctant because of the costs, but according to HomeGain, my advice can actually make you more money when you sell your home.
Through its Home Sale Maximizer feature, HomeGain identified the top 10 home improvements under $1,500 that add the most to home sellers’ bottom line, as recommended by real estate professionals across the nation.
- Cleaning and de-cluttering ($290 cost / $1,990 price increase / 586% ROI)
- Lightening and brightening ($375 cost / $1,550 price increase / 313% ROI)
- Home staging ($550 cost / $2,194 price increase / 299% ROI)
- Landscaping ($540 cost / $1,932 price increase / 258% ROI)
- Repairing electrical or plumbing ($535 cost / $1,505 price increase / 181% ROI)
- Kitchen and bathroom ($1,265 cost/$3,435 price increase/172% ROI)
- Replace or shampoo carpets ($647 cost/$1,730 price increase/169% ROI
- Paint interior ($1,012 cost/$2,112 price increase/109% ROI)
- Repair floors ($931 cost/$1,924 price increase/107% ROI)
- Paint exterior ($1,467 cost/$2,222 price increase/51% ROI)
What’s interesting is how consistently I identify these same home improvements: cleaning/de-cluttering, lightening/brightening, and staging. The top three categories cost just a little over $1,000, yet net sellers as much as $5,734 at closing.